[jdom-interest] Preparing next release

Rolf Lear jdom at tuis.net
Tue Jun 5 12:03:18 PDT 2012

hello everyone (again).

After some 'study', and some discussion on the maven-user's mailing list,
I have come to the conclusion that the maven predicament is best solved
using a 'legacy' type approach.

In summary, I plan to re-release jdom 1.1.3 on maven-central as the new
artifact 'jdom-legacy' version 1.1.3.

The reasons are as follows:
1. For non-maven JDOM users it makes no difference (there is no impact for
non-maven users).
2. For most maven users there is no impact (they can just choose which
version of the 'jdom' artifact they want to use).
3. For those maven users needing both 1.x and 2.x they can use 'jdom'
artifact for 2.x, and the 'jdom-legacy' artifact for 1.x
4. This 'solution' does not 'burn any (more) bridges'....
5. It makes the maven processes independent of JDOM releases.

Future versions of jdom 2.x will continue to be released to the jdom


On Wed, 30 May 2012 19:23:35 -0400, Rolf Lear <jdom at tuis.net> wrote:
> Hi again.
> Just to let you know that while I was originally going to release 2.0.2 
> before month-end, I have instead decided to release it probably some 
> time next week.
> In the interim I am learning a bunch about maven, and I am tracking down

> some additional input to how to resolve the maven problems. It seems 
> that learning maven to the extent I need is not going to be a 1-day 
> exercise.
> So, expect 2.0.2 before the 9th of June.
> Rolf
> On 28/05/2012 7:47 AM, Rolf Lear wrote:
>> Hi All.
>> I am getting ready to push out version 2.0.2 of the JDOM 2.x stream.
>> Currently in this release is the fix for issue #81 (resetting live
>> FitlerLists after a remove()).
>> This is the only known bug in JDOM 2.x and a 'hotfix' has been
>> for a few weeks. It is time to push out the official release.
>> Additionally, there are issues/concerns regarding the maven artifiacts.
>> The core issue is that currently it is not possible to 'require' both
>> 1.x and 2.x in your maven project. There appears to be only one
>> to
>> this issue and that is to have different 'artifacts' for JDOM 1 and
>> 2.
>> Obviously (in hindsight) it should have been done this way originally,
>> but
>> there was simply not enough 'expert' feedback/input/assistance when the
>> decisions were being made, and this mistake is now something that just
>> has
>> to be lived with.
>> As a result, it appears necessary to deploy JDOM 2.0.2 to the maven
>> artifact 'jdom2' (previous versions were deployed to 'jdom').
>> While this change will make it possible to include both JDOM 1.x and
>> in your maven projects it will also introduce a number of irritating
>> side-effects:
>> For 'regular' users, note:
>> 1. previous versions of JDOM 2.x were called jdom-2.0.0.jar and
>> jdom-2.0.1.jar. This new version will be called jdom2-2.0.2.jar, and
>> 'zip' file will be called jdom2-2.0.2.zip
>> For maven users, note:
>> 1. if you have already incorporated JDOM 2.x in your project you should
>> update your dependency to be for artifact jdom2, not jdom
>> 2. ensure any maven project you require that also depends on JDOM aware
>> of
>> this problem... because, if that required project 'upgrades' to the
>> artifact version 2.0.1 (instead of jdom2) then you will get two
>> versions of jdom 2.x in your classpath, and there is no telling what
>> result.....
>> So, it is quite possible that by 'solving' the issue relating to
>> requiring
>> both JDOM 1.x and 2.x, that we will instead be introducing even worse
>> problems, but I have been assured that this is the 'only' way to move
>> forward from here.
>> If anyone has comments, concerns, suggestions, I am all ears.
>> Rolf
>> _______________________________________________
>> To control your jdom-interest membership:
>> http://www.jdom.org/mailman/options/jdom-interest/youraddr@yourhost.com

More information about the jdom-interest mailing list