[jdom-interest] problem creating Document on WebSphere server

Langel, Richard rick.langel at pioneer.com
Mon Sep 15 13:00:58 PDT 2003

That actually was the issue, sort of.  WSAD has an older version of the jdom library as part of it's install, so when we were trying to use the document class, it was already loaded by a different class loader, and therefore was out of the scope of the current class loader.  

Thanks to everyone for your help.


-----Original Message-----
From: dfeather at oreillyauto.com [mailto:dfeather at oreillyauto.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2003 1:15 PM
To: jdom-interest at jdom.org
Subject: Re: [jdom-interest] problem creating Document on WebSphere

Which version of Websphere are you using Richard? Websphere 4.0 and 5.0 
come with b7 of JDOM. Maybe that is causing an issue here? I have gotten 
it to work in 3.5.X and 5.0.X. There were no problems with JDOM itself in 
3.5, but in 5.0 I had to rename the jdom.jar that came with websphere. It 
doesn't actually use it for anything, so it shouldn't break websphere if 
you rename. They just provide it since it is so nifty... but it gets added 
to the app server classpath automatically by default. There is also a 
config file somewhere (can't recall where) that has the classpath in it, 
and it includes the IBM supplied jdom.jar.

What platform are you running it on? Windows, Linux, OS/400... ? On our 
OS/400 the jar was in /QIBM/ProdData/WebASE/ASE5/lib.

That may be something else to look into.

Dan Feather
Sr. Programmer/Analyst
O'Reilly Automotive, Inc.

Benjamin Kopic <benjamin.kopic at pancontext.com>
Sent by: jdom-interest-admin at jdom.org
09/10/2003 06:43 AM

        To:     "Langel, Richard" <rick.langel at pioneer.com>
        cc:     jdom-interest at jdom.org
        Subject:        Re: [jdom-interest] problem creating Document on WebSphere server

Hi Rick

I have successfully used JDOM Beta 6 with WAS 3.5 (which uses IBM JDK 
1.2.2) to create Document instances. So, it could be WAS JDK version or as 
John Webber says it could be security settings (although I did not have to 
make changes to any policy files to make it work).

Best regards


On Thu, 2003-09-04 at 18:19, Langel, Richard wrote: 
We have a utility class jar file that contains classes that create 
Documents to build XML that is used on both WebSphere app servers and on a 
Sybase Jaguar server.  We can get everything to work fine on the Jaguar 
server, and if we create a Document in classes not in the utility jar 
everything works fine.  But when we try to create a document from a class 
within the utility jar in WebSphere we get the error below.  The same code 
from the same jar works fine on the Jaguar server.  Can anyone give me a 
clue as to what I'm missing?

                 java.lang.IllegalAccessError: <my class> tried to access 
method org/jdom/Document.<init>()V

Rick Langel
Research Information Management

This communication is for use by the intended recipient and contains 
information that may be privileged, confidential or copyrighted under
applicable law.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby
formally notified that any use, copying or distribution of this e-mail,
in whole or in part, is strictly prohibited.  Please notify the sender
by return e-mail and delete this e-mail from your system.  Unless
explicitly and conspicuously designated as "E-Contract Intended",
this e-mail does not constitute a contract offer, a contract amendment,
or an acceptance of a contract offer.  This e-mail does not constitute
a consent to the use of sender's contact information for direct marketing
purposes or for transfers of data to third parties.

 Francais Deutsch Italiano  Espanol  Portugues  Japanese  Chinese  Korean


More information about the jdom-interest mailing list